Aug 15-13 Adventure Ride Up James Bay Road.

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Postby Willys » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:13 am

I am planning on a adventure riding trip with a group of riders to do the James Bay road as far north as humanly possible to get to on the shores of James Bay. There is 7 bikes going so far all self sufficient, camping along the way, carrying their own fuel supplies.
My questions are...what are the campsites along the way like, ground wise. Do you need a free standing tent? Are camp fires allowed for cooking lets say fish if you were to catch your dinner? What average temperatures are we likely to get along with amounts of rain if any? Some are hoping to stay one night at the Radisson Inn in Radisson, what is the cost of that? What exactly is at the end of the Tans-Taiga road going east? Is it worth the extra time needed to do this road?
I hope I haven't asked too many questions. I have read everything I can find about the trip but would like some firsthand knowledge etc.

Also we are starting from the Sutton area, Lake Simcoe and anyone is welcome to join us who have the same interests as the group. It will be an adventure ride not a speed thrill ride doing roughly 500kms a day we think. Plenty of time to stop and smell the roses.
Willys

Re: Aug 15-13 Adventure Ride Up James Bay Road.

Postby Canadian FJR » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:34 am

I'll be able to give you a full report once I return on July 25th. Feel free to PM me and I'll send you a complete list of articles that I have saved.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR

Postby jdmetzger » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:18 pm

I don't think a free-standing tent is necessary. I camped at Matagami Lake campground and like most areas I camped in around northern Canada, the ground is packed sand with lots of small rocks throughout. My stakes stayed in just fine, though sometimes I needed a small hammer (or another rock) to get the stake in the ground.

I only stayed at Matagami Lake campground, but there WAS a fire ring - not sure if they were selling wood or not. Everything was fairly wet in 2007, so scavenging wouldn't have worked well. If you DO cook your own food make sure to exercise bear safety.

I'd suggest staying anywhere but the Radisson Inn. Try riding up there through marble sized hail, rain, and temperatures in the upper 30's and low 40's (in July) solo, and finding out that even though you have a valid confirmation number they lost your reservation and had no rooms available. I was lucky and met some people up there who were staying at La Carrefour La Grande. It was a basic place, but clean and totally workable. I've heard from several other riders who had problems with their reservations at the Radisson Inn.

I haven't ridden the Trans-Taiga but I know a guy who tried it. He was a very experienced dirt rider and the going was slow, and fuel very, very scarce. I'd make sure everyone was quite experienced in off-road situations (especially sand) before considering that one.
jdmetzger

Postby chasindaylight » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:22 am

Hey there Willys,

Just a little info that might help. I have stayed at Auberge Radisson and at La Carrefour la Grande and had no problems with either. I prefer the latter as it also has a restaurant and pub . In 2008 I tried to make reservations at "La Grande" 6 weeks before the trip and they were booked solid with construction workers so I booked Auberge Radisson. When I got there, the construction project was cancelled so there were lots of rooms available at "La Grande". It will cost about $ 110.00 a night .

Regarding the Transtaiga Road, check out my post in the Transtaiga Rd forum titled "Motorcycle riding Transtaiga Rd." I was up there with a couple of buddies in 07 & 08. We also rode The Route du Nord. Be sure to print off this web sites travel guides to all the roads up there. They are excellent. Any more info needed feel free to post on that forum or this one and I would be glad to help in any way.

Terry.
chasindaylight

Return to General Discussion