My trip is planned.

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

My trip is planned.

Postby Buck » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:20 am

Hi,
Thanks to everyone for answering previous questions that I have posted here.
The vacation days have been approved and I am all set. We will be leaving Montreal on September 2 and on the first day we will drive to Matagami. Second day we will make up to Radisson, perhaps stopping by Chisasibi on this day. Day three we will go on the Hydro Quebec tour then go to Chisasibi, if we didn't go the day before, go to the dump and hopefully see some bears. Day four we will either drive back to Amos or if we are making good time, all the way back to Montreal.
I hope to see some northern lights when we are up there.

I will post a travelogue when I get back and post some pictures.

Buck.

2010 - Caniapiscau. Yeah, I think so.
'Not all who wander are lost.' - J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring
Buck

Re: My trip is planned.

Postby Bonk » Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:12 pm

Sounds like a great trip!

We went from Rouyn-Noranda to Chisasibi in a day, then slept in Radisson, and we were pressing. Starting from Matagami, you'll have plenty of time to stop whenever you want.

If the weather's nice, I'd highly recommend getting out to Chisasibi for sunset. We got some great shots as the sun dipped into the Arctic.

And try a grilled cheese at the Relais 381. ;)
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Postby Buck » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:54 am

Yeah, I am really excited about going.

I am going to make the room reservations this week. I guess Motel Baie James for Radisson, I am not sure about Matagami but there are a couple to choose from. Any suggestions would be welcome.

I will definitely go to Chisasibi for the sunset, I never even thought about that before, thanks for the tip.
Buck

Postby Bonk » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:19 am

We did the Auberge in Radisson. It was fine, but no frills whatsoever. I think it was about $100 CDN.

The sunset was incredible. I posted these pictures in another thread, but I'll put them here too if you want to see them:

http://s435.photobucket.com/albums/qq78 ... 9a8dc2.pbw
Bonk

Postby Buck » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:25 am

It is going to be a long month to wait. Seeing new pictures makes me want to go right now. The sunset looks great.

Did you happen to see the northern lights?

Thanks for the hotel hint..
Buck

Postby Bonk » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:04 pm

We thought we were going to be able to see the Northern Lights, but for all my planning, I overlooked one important factor: A full moon. When we were driving back from Chisasibi to Radisson, in the middle of nowhere, the moon was brighter than I'd ever seen it.

At one point we think we saw a little flicker of light, but that was about it.

I just looked at the moon chart, and you may have the same issue. Moon will be full Sept. 2-3.
Bonk

Postby Buck » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:12 am

Well, that's a bit disappointing. Oh well, I'll have to plan the next trip around the moon cycle. ;)
Buck

Postby Buck » Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:56 pm

I just booked the rooms for the trip..I'm all set.
I also booked a satellite phone to make my wife feel better about the trip. I am not sure if calling someone from the route if we had a problem would be any faster than just waiting for someone to pass by but anyway...

The real countdown has started.. :D
Buck

Postby Bonk » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:25 pm

We saw a vehicle every 10-15 minutes, so I wasn't really worried, but we did notice our cell phone went dead as soon as we left Matagami. You see more vehicles to the south because of the logging roads.

When we went, the stretch from Amos to Matagami was actually more isolated than the JBR.

Are you staying at the Auberge in Radisson?
Bonk

Postby Buck » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:29 am

I am not worried that much either but I guess if it makes her happy then it makes me happy to have the phone.
Amos to Matagami more isolated? I wouldn't have thought that. I guess the really isolated road is the Trans Taiga...maybe next year. I want to get to the end of that as well.
I actually booked Motel Baie-James, mostly because it sort of looks the part of a northern motel to me. It reminds me of the hotel on the North of 60 TV show ;)
Buck

Postby Bonk » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:55 am

To be more specific, when we got to about the 75km mark north of Amos, it was more isolated than parts of the JBR. The first stretch had a decent number of vehicles. Its flat, straight nature is certainly conducive to speeding. I hit 150km/h a few times on the way back.

By the way, I'm curious about something. I was fairly sure "pain grille" was grilled cheese in French, but is it "fromage grille" or something else? When I was at the 381 Relais I got a strange look when I asked for "deux pain grilles", and then the cook started speaking broken English. French class was a long time ago, so maybe I'm starting to forget what French I did learn.
Bonk

Postby Buck » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:22 am

Maybe that is the Parisian French way of saying it. At least in Montreal it is a "sandwich fromage grillé" if you want to say it French. But often just saying in English is understood, kind of like "tire" instead of "pneu". At least that's my take on it.
Buck

Postby Bonk » Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:27 am

Thanks. We learned France French, so as I'm learning, there are more differences than I'd imagined.

I was in Montreal last month and was pretty disappointed at my ability to understand or be understood in French. But I still had a good time. I ate incredible smoked meat and drank beer at Brutopia, so all was well. :D

When we were in Radisson last year, the Jo's-Mike's restaurant in Radisson was open until 10 p.m. It was the only food joint in town, but the food was very good. Something else to think about in your planning -- we didn't arrive at the hotel until about 9:15, so we had to hurry to get an order in before they closed. Your time demands won't be as bad, so you should have plenty of time. I've heard their breakfast is awesome, and the pasteries at the Esso next door are incredible.

Then again, we're not used to great pasteries being plentiful here in the States.
Bonk

Postby Buck » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:54 am

There are plenty of differences in the French language that's for sure. Words, accents are all different.

Next time you are in Montreal and you want smoked meat you have to hit Schwartz's Deli on St. Laurent, they are the institution for smoked meat. I am not sure if we are allowed to post links in this forum but just google and it you will find the website...even thinking about it now makes me want to go today ;)

I think my timeline is pretty good for getting to Radisson at an early hour so the place should be open for us to grab some grub. I usually don't have much for breakfast so the pastries at the Esso sounds like a good plan, I never would have thought of that.

Two weeks and I will be on my way up. I can't wait. This has been something that I have wanted to do since I read about Canadian Driver driving up there in the winter with a Prius and the Cayenne support vehicle...FYI, hybrids and winter don't give you the published fuel economy numbers ;)
Buck

Postby Bonk » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:29 am

I ate at Reuben's. I've heard about Schwartz's, but I didn't have time to get up there. One of these times...

Did you see the pictures of the Cooper flipping on the James Bay Road in the winter on this site? No way would I attempt that road in winter.

I sure hope the weather's as good for your trip as it was for us. :)
Bonk

Next

Return to General Discussion