Four weeks to go.....

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Four weeks to go.....

Postby Mercedesrover » Thu May 31, 2007 2:37 pm

It looks like we’ll be hittin’ the road on June 30th!

We’re driving a 1974 Land Rover that’s had a fair amount of modifications done to it including a Mercedes diesel engine installed.

We’ll start in the east coming up the North Road, head up to Chisasibi and then out the Trans-Taiga to Caniapiscau. We’ll come south on the James Bay Road and head into southern Ontario before coming home.

Leaving from Connecticut I’ve allotted a month to do the trip including some sightseeing on the way through southern Quebec and some extra time with friends in Ontario on the way home.

We’re doing most of the trip solo but we are meeting a friend in Radisson with a ’67 Land Rover for the trip out the Trans-Taiga and back.

There’s not a lot of extra room in this old truck but I want to do some fishing but I only want to bring one rod with me. I’d imagine a medium-weight spinning rod would be sufficient to handle most of what I can catch from shore? Any pointers from someone who’s done a bit of fishing up there?

Any other words of wisdom for a first-timer in James Bay? We’re no stranger to remote travel and this truck was in Newfoundland and Labrador two years ago so I’ve got an idea of what we’re in for. How will the bugs be in mid-July?!?!

Jim

Edit: Not sure why this forum won't accept images but that's the url to a picture of my truck in Labrador.
Mercedesrover

Postby Bonk » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:58 pm

Sounds like fun!

Look forward to hearing how it went when you get back.
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Postby admin » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:06 pm

The bugs in mid-July wil be insane.
Sounds like an awesome trip! Enjoy!!
admin
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion