Wemendji

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Wemendji

Postby Jeff_Tatterson » Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:28 pm

I am starting to plan my 2008 trip and this time I am thinking about going to Wemendji. Any input on guest accommodations? A designated campground with a portojohn would make me happy. But a guest house would be nice too.
Jeff_Tatterson

Re: Wemendji

Postby jdmetzger » Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:05 am

Jeff_Tatterson wrote:I am starting to plan my 2008 trip and this time I am thinking about going to Wemendji. Any input on guest accommodations? A designated campground with a portojohn would make me happy. But a guest house would be nice too.

Here is a link to the tourism section of their website. They list a phone number for a Maquatua Inn, a 12 room hotel, which offers the usual phone/shower/tv and an attached restaurant.

I can't find any rate information, but you can at least call them. Sounds like there are some interesting things to see and do there - some of the boat trips sound great, if you have the time.

http://www.wemindji-nation.qc.ca/tourism.html
Josh Metzger
Toledo, OH
jdmetzger

Postby Jeff_Tatterson » Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:35 pm

Thanks for the help. One thing I've found is tht there is no co-ordination between the tourist boards of the various bands of the Cree and the Quebec provincial government. I don't even know why I bother, I'll probably take enough gear to camp even if there is nothing there.
Jeff.
Jeff_Tatterson

Postby Bonk » Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:55 am

I wonder what they mean by "very dangerous" in the boat description, but that sounds fascinating.

Probably the presence of 20-40 polar bears...I've read people pay close to $4K to visit Churchill, Man., to see those bears.

Looking at my Canada map, I'm guessing the islands they're talking about 45 miles away are the North and South Twin Islands that are part of Nunavut. Sounds very cool.
"What's the 'C' stand for - selfish?' - unidentified NHL player during a scrap
Bonk

Re: Wemendji

Postby Local » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Anyone ever been and can recommend activities to do in Wemendji? I am on vacation and live less than 2 hours away. I was considering a day trip there, since I've never been.
Local

Return to General Discussion