Tire Chains

Discussion specifically about the Trans-Taiga Road. Share your experiences and tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Tire Chains

Postby Nord QC Bouman » Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:54 pm

Is it true that tire chains are not allowed on the road?
Nord QC Bouman

Tire chains

Postby njam101 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:33 pm

I'm assuming that you're American if you're asking about tire chains.
I live in Northern Ontario and have never seen chains on tires so I'm guessing that they are not legal aside from the fact they're not needed.

If you travel to Northern Quebec or Ontario, or much of Canada, you will need at the very least all season tires. Winter tires are the best of course for grip and control. The only place I've seen chains on tires was in California where I think they were put on summer radials during mountain snowfalls. That was during a vacation a few years back.

Also of note is that in Northern Ontario studded tires may become legal again but not for southern Ontario. As of now they are prohibited. I'm not sure what the law is in Quebec but I can give you some links.

MTO Ministry of Transportation (Ontario) http://www.mto.gov.on.ca

MTQ or Transport Québec http://www.mtq.gouv.qc.ca
(and click on English if needed)

Actually I just found out about studded tires in Québec:

Studded tires may be used between October 15 and May 1 on commercial vehicles whose total loaded mass does not exceed 3000 kg and on passenger vehicles and taxis, provided these vehicles have studded tires on both ends of an axle and, if they have studded tires on the wheels of the front axle, provided they also have them on the wheels of the rear axle.
njam101

Postby Nord QC Bouman » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:35 pm

Actually - I was asking about the Taiga Road - I know the laws for studs and chains on tar roads in QC/ON. The Taiga road has some speicfic rules I am told and I only see chains on Provincal and Hydro QC vehicles. I travel up the LaForge Road in December and chains would be a great help in getting above hte dam as the roads can be bad. Someone on another forum stated that chains were not allows on the Taiga Road and I cannot find anything specific on this.
Nord QC Bouman

Return to Trans-Taiga Road