Towing a Camper?

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Towing a Camper?

Postby Bob_Heald » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been wanting to take a trip up the James Bay Road for a few years, well it looks like this is the year that we're going to do it. We'll be towing our camper (24' travel trailer) -- it's not a huge camper, but its not tiny either.

What I'm wondering is about the campgrounds. Are we going to be able to get in and out of all of them on the list of campgrounds, or are there some that we need to just bypass? We're going to take our time - kayak along the way, maybe some fishing if we can figure out the laws, so I can't say where we might want to stop.

Also, we're considering returning by the north road. Whats this road like? Is it a good wide road, or when a logging truck passes do you have to drive into the ditch? I know it's gravel, and that by itself is not a problem.

How many people towing campers do you see up there? I'd love to travel the Trans-Taiga road as well, but I'm not sure we'll tackle that one right off.

Thanks for your input, and Walter, thanks for all the information you've put together. Great work!!
Bob_Heald

Postby jdmetzger » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:31 pm

The only campground I stayed at was at Matagami Lake. There was a camper about the same size as yours at the site next to mine. They didn't have any problems getting it onto the site. If you just stop at the "wilderness" sites; there is ample open space for you from what I saw.

While I was headed up to Radisson, I saw almost no one (Wednesday) but riding back south on Thursday I saw a number of truck/trailer combinations heading up north. In fact, I would say that was the majority of traffic I saw, that day... not that there was a lot.

Enjoy your trip!
Josh Metzger
Toledo, OH
jdmetzger

Postby Bush » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:02 am

If your taking the camper onto the North Road i would advise a few spare tires and a patch kit and small air pump just in case..You will probably have at least 1 flat tire..there is also NO fuel on that road, i don't know what your using to tow with but some extra fuel might be needed..there are all kinds of spots you can just pull off and set up camp..oh a large portion of the road is in a park and they told us they do not allow people to just camp anywhere but we did anyway..its in the middle nowhere and depending on your time of year that you will be there be VERY careful using good judgement if a camp fire is needed or not..
Enjoy your trip its very nice country up there, some of the rivers you will cross are just awesome..Rupert River where it cross's the James Bay Highway is like something you will allways remember.one word Awesome
Bush

Postby Bob_Heald » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:49 am

Thanks for your replies! We're really looking forward to this trip!
Bob_Heald

Re: Towing a Camper?

Postby njam101 » Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:00 am

The campground along the Eastmain River was fine and had lots of room. I don't think you'll get a flat tire if you do proper maintenance but ALWAYS be prepared for one with any kind of trailer. On a dirt road make sure you're not driving too fast and increase the chances of a flat tire!!
njam101

Return to General Discussion