Co-ordinates To Find North Road

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Co-ordinates To Find North Road

Postby tsilliker » Sun May 11, 2008 2:45 am

I am having difficulties locating the North Road from the descriptions on that section of website. It is off highway 167. I think I may have found it, but there are a lot of logging roads on my Garmin MapSource maps up there!

The road I have on my Garmin maps does not join up from one end to the other. There is a section missing in the middle. That is why I am having difficulty. It may just be that this particular map is incomplete.

Does anyone co-ordinates, to the road entrances and critical junctions? Failing that, does anyone have an electronic copy of the map showing the road that they can share?

I would like to ride the North Road and Trans-Taiga in August on my Kawasaki KLR650. I have set aside the week the 11th to the 15th for my ride.

Here is a link to another neat ride I did on the KLR:
http://www.wheels.ca/article/asset/34490

Thane Silliker
London, Ontario
IBA #210
STOC #730
Thane Silliker
London, Ontario
IBA #210
STOC #730
tsilliker

Re: Co-ordinates To Find North Road

Postby jdmetzger » Mon May 12, 2008 8:52 am

I was shocked to not find this route in my Garmin GPS software, as well. The JBR is well covered.

Here is a link to the route on google maps (from the "start" at 167 to the James Bay Road). You can zoom in rather close and follow the whole road and some of the smaller places it passes through (Nemiscau), and lakes it passes by.

http://tinyurl.com/5far78

If you're thinking about one week to ride the North Road AND the Trans-Taiga, you might be pushing it. One one hand, I rode from Radisson to North Bay, ON in one day, but that was in good weather on paved roads. Being the TTR is 666km of no pavement, I would think going to the end would take two days by itself. It sounds like it will be a challenging ride, though you have the right bike for it. I'd love to get back up there and ride the TTR. Maybe in the next few years...
jdmetzger

Re: Co-ordinates To Find North Road

Postby tsilliker » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Thanks for the help. I'll have to fill in the blanks in between I guess.

I'll have good co-ordinates when I return from this trip using the SPOT.
Thane Silliker
London, Ontario
IBA #210
STOC #730
tsilliker

Return to General Discussion