Heading back up!

General discussion about the James Bay Road and region. Share your experiences and travel tips. Ask questions.

Moderator: admin

Heading back up!

Postby Rally_T-115 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 12:24 am

Well it's been two years since I went up the first time, and I'm ready to go again! Back in 2007 I made a quick trip up on Victoria Day weekend. It was a good trip but "now that we know", my dad and I booked Friday off for the extra day. This is mainly so that we can ACTUALLY go on the LG-2 tour. Last time, we drove to Val-d'Or friday night, drove to Radisson saturday, then found out sunday morning that we couldn't go on Tour. So this time around we're going to leave Thursday night (May 14th) instead so we can get to Radisson friday night. We plan to be back home Monday night.

SO! Since we will have an extra day now we have some more time to go exploring! What to do....

--Last year we've been to LG-1 and Chisasibi and James Bay. Maybe this time around go to Longue Pointe?
--Or maybe trek down the great Trans-Taiga road a little ways, perhaps to LG-3 or...?
--Check out the Opinaca Resevoir?
--Go home via The North Road?

Anything else? This time around the Grand Vitara now has a set of brand new All-Terrain Yokohamas (including the spare!). No fear of gravel this time! This is the same vehicle that I drive in overnight winter Road Rallies, I have a set of four extra lights that mounts on top of the bumper to throw extra light far down the road and into the ditches, so that'll be going on the car this trip too, in case we end up driving after dark again.

This time around, in Radisson, I hope to stay in that other nice hotel that's there, the one that has the stove and fridge in each room. Last time we stayed at the main Hotel there and it was COLD. A cold snap went through and they couldn't turn the heat on. As well, another forum member went up on his bike and was locked out even though he had his reservation - they lost theirs. For the other hotels I stayed in though, same places this time. in Matagami and Val-d'Or.

James
Rally_T-115

SWINE FLU!! NOO!

Postby Rally_T-115 » Sat May 02, 2009 5:09 pm

Just tried to book a tour and now they're saying ALL HydroQuebec tours are CANCELLED until futher notice because of H1N1 (SWINE FLU)!! NOOO! :cry:

Strike two! :roll:

Oh well more time for driving around and exploring.

Hey maybe I'll bring the spare gas tank and run the Trans-Taiga out to Caniaspicau... but I don't think I'll have the time...

James
Rally_T-115

Re: Heading back up!

Postby Canadian FJR » Mon May 04, 2009 8:54 pm

That sucks, that's the main reason that I was heading up that way. Oh well.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR

Postby Rally_T-115 » Tue May 12, 2009 10:47 pm

Just checked the H-Q site again tonight, that big warning (about being in "biohazard lockdown", ie no tours) on their Tours page seems to be gone now. Hopefully good news. I tried to call but got the answering machine. Maybe will try again tomorrow from work, it's a 1-800 number anyways.

Just rotated the 5 tires on my GrandVitara and checked it over; gonna put the rally light-rack on the front tomorrow. Now I just have to pack everything... tools in case, CAMERA CAMERA CAMERAS, video camera, bugnets (didn't need them last year but just in case) and bug spray; the good (GM) jack and the plywood board I use when I have to jack the car up on gravel, 1st aid kit, CB radio (man I really need to apply for a good HAM license...) cooler with drinks, LOTS OF CDs...

James
Rally_T-115

Postby Canadian FJR » Wed May 13, 2009 8:58 pm

Have a great (and safe) trip. Be sure to post once you return.

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR

Postby Canadian FJR » Sun May 31, 2009 8:16 pm

Did you ever make it back ????

Canadian FJR
Canadian FJR

Postby Rally_T-115 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:03 am

Yes we made it back. Good trip. Still trying to write out the story and get pictures and movies sorted. Will post when ready. Some key points:

- Hydro-Quebec moved the guarded gate back from the JBR/Ave de Groselliers intersection, back over the crest of the hill. What I said before still applies. No driving around the complex yourself.

- The Rupert, Eastmain, Opinaca rivers all had much more volume flowing compared to when I went two years ago. At the Rupert, we drove to the Rupert campsite and I'm certain the water level upriver from the rapids was at LEAST a foot higher than 2 years ago. I still have to compare the pictures. At the rapids themselves, to put it in to gearhead/racing terms, it's as if someone had cranked up the boost, to hell with saving the engine, and planted the gas pedal through the floor for one last powerful screaming run to the finish, before being shut off for good. I could've easily stood there for an hour watching and listening.

- Hydro Quebec access road to EOL (the road just north of the Eastmain River bridge) You can drive in as far as that 1st intersection you see on that map, but that's it, there's a guard shack there, I guess to protect the work camp at Eastmain 1-A.

- Got a taste of the Trans-Taiga road. Drove to LG-3, went right up to the dam (longest dam in Quebec) but did not know that it was ok to cross. Drove to km110 of the TT then headed back to Radisson. Still had 1/4 tank left when we got back, could've gone a little futher but there's nothing of note until km170-ish so there'd've been no point.

- Got to go on a tour after all!!! :D Just happened to knock on the door at the interpretation centre in Radisson and the guy there was like "You Mr. Corrigan?" Turns out there was a problem with their voicemail system and they've been trying to contact us. The fixed us up with an english tour following behind a french tour schoolgroup.

That's all I can think of for now, hopefully in a few weeks we'll have the pics and vids up.

James
Rally_T-115

Return to General Discussion