Chisasibi is a Cree town with a population of over 4000. English, French and
Cree are spoken here. Aside from their native tongue of Cree, the Cree of
northern Quebec generally speak English rather than French.
West of the gigantic facilities of the La Grande complex, this is the last
community accessible by road. Chisasibi is the last community accessible by
road. Chisasibi, which means "great river" in Cree, was a village originally
located on Fort Georges Island, formerly Govenor's Island, which is open to
visitors. In 1981, following the signing of the Chisasibi Agreement, the village
was relocated to the mainland. Fort Georges was the site of a HBC trading post
built in 1837 by Georges Atkinson, a Scottish Metis who gave his name to the
island. This strategic location favoured the development of trading links
between the different Native communities of the North. As a result, the French
and the English fought to monopolize the market. Fort Georges Island is a
well-known meeting place and a centre for festivities. Each summer, it hosts a
major pow-wow that draws people from everywhere.
The road to Chisasibi starts at Km 600 of the
James Bay Road. This road leads to Hydro
Quebec's LG-1 dam and hydro generation station, Chisasibi, Longue Pointe, and to
James Bay itself. It is paved all the way to Chisasibi.
Chisasibi is 90km from the James Bay Road,
and 110km from Radisson.
James Bay is 108km from the James Bay Road and
128km from Radisson.
Chisasibi Mandow Agency Website:
More info: (819) 855-2878.